10. Laurel Halo – Chance Of Rain (Hyperdub): I take an umbrella with me almost every time I leave the apartment, which is rare. But I am always prepared.
9. Kurt Vile – Wakin On A Pretty Daze (Matador): Many summer memories here. And: pre-summer memories. Kurt played a free show in Philly at World Cafe Live the day George Jones died. I mourned too much and I drank too much at the show and I drank too much at lunch and then I rode my bike around in a cemetery and then I drank too much at home and then my girlfriend would not allow me travel to Fishtown to see Lantern. RIP Possum.
8. Jessy Lanza – Pull My Hair Back (Hyperdub): I really want to call this “sci-fi r&b” even though that makes me feel like a bad person. The future is not all bad. I am probably wrong about that.
7. Paramore – Paramore (Fueled By Ramen): My biggest mistake of 2k13 was not going to see Paramore at Madison Square Garden. I was in New York for work that week and I had a last minute opportunity to go to the show but I did not. Big mistake. But the pho I ate that night instead was quite delicious.
6. Wolf Eyes – No Answer : Lower Floors (De Stijl): Classic rock with an “edge.”
5. Ka – The Night’s Gambit (Iron Works): There is a scene in one of Ka’s recent videos where a bunch of books by Machiavelli and Rousseau and Plato and a few of the other important guys are shown. I sent a message to Ka asking him if it was a shot of his personal shelf or if it was from a bookstore. I asked because the books were all Penguin Classics so it very likely could have been a Penguin Classic specific shelf at a store. He wrote me back and he told me it was a shot of his personal book shelf.
4. Lorde – Pure Heroine (Universal): Don’t you think that it’s boring how people talk about Lorde? Making smart with their words again, well I’m bored.
3. Ashley Monroe – Like A Rose (Warner): She can write a song and she can sing it. It is fun to listen to this while driving a rental car. And I love how short it is!
2. Oneohtrix Point Never – R Plus Seven (Warp): I have not deeply cared about OPN since Zones Without People. I cared a lot about that one. R Plus Seven made me care about OPN again. After heaven is the after heaven. The Post-Internet. Close your laptop and dream about zones without people.
1. Julia Holter – Loud City Song (Domino): Do you remember human beings and instruments? Human beings are playing instruments here. This album makes me confident Julia will be one of the most important living artists of my lifetime. It has conceptual guts and strong bones and the compositions are smart and the playing is lovely.
And now here are the Songs
5. Haim – If I Could Change Your Mind: This makes me think about the date in Karate Kid when Daniel and Liz Shue go to the arcade and Dan’s mom drives that crappy jalopy.
4. Disclosure – White Noise: Speaking of Karate Kid, here is Cruel Summer 2k13.
3. Lady Gaga – Gypsy: For when the world ends and we all become rhizombies.
2. Thundercat – Oh Sheit It’s X: The closest I will ever come to using molly again.
1. Oneohtrix Point Never – Chrome Country: An anthem for the day after the Internet. I have no idea how we will listen to it.